CreatureLink Guide Website Jessica | 3/3/2013|| 2|
A guide to CreatureLink, a feature designed to link players and Creatures throughout the generations through a sort of offline warp.
CreatureLink is a feature designed to link players and Creatures throughout the generations through a sort of offline warp. Devised and initially ran by Jessica of Discover Albia, CreatureLink is currently maintained by Grendel Man of The Realm, who uploads new creatures on a somewhat regular basis.
Creatures Caves members have the opportunity to adopt these Norns, Grendels, and Ettins to carry on the legacies! There are two main functions of CreatureLink: Adopting and uploading.
For the easiest way to find all currently adoptable Creatures (those who have not yet been adopted), choose "available only" from the menu titled "all availabilities."
The adoption process is fairly simple, thanks to a simple download option! Please remember that once a Creature is adopted, his/her file will be deleted from the server and no one else will be able to adopt the Creature. Make sure to note the ID number of a Creature you download, as this may be important when uploading his/her offspring in the future. You are welcome to change the names of adopted Creatures: Just remember that their original names will be used to link their offspring in CreatureLink.
Browse through the list of currently available CreatureLink Creatures. You will notice that some may indicate that their adopter is "available" which means that they are currently available for adoption. Clicking on this link will bring up a pop-up window, informing you of how each Creature may only be adopted once. You have an opportunity to back out of the adoption at this point. Once you move on, however, you will be named as the adopter of that Creature and will be able to download his/her file.
We do not currently have a strict limit on the number of CreatureLink Creatures a member may adopt, but it is politely requested that you keep your adoptions to a reasonable level. Keep in mind that CreatureLink is designed to link players together, which can't happen if everyone isn't given an opportunity to adopt! Check back regularly for new Creatures.
Once you have adopted a male and female Creature from CreatureLink, their offspring are eligible to be uploaded in order to continue the link. When uploading a Creature, there are several important fields to be aware of (in addition to some of the more standard fields):
- Generation: This is an optional field, but should indicate whatever generation the uploaded Creature is. Please only fill this in if you are absolutely sure: Leaving it blank is perfectly acceptable! The offspring of a generation one and a generation nine Creature will produce a generation ten Creature.
- Sprites: Choose up to five breeds whose sprites are necessary to view the Creature. As of this time, the drop-down menu may not be 100% complete. If this is the case, please include this information, particularly for third-party breeds, in the description section.
- Parents: The mother and father of an uploaded Creature help to link the different generations in CreatureLink. The drop-down menus include the name, game, species, and ID number of every Creature in the CreatureLink database. Select the parent(s) from these menus or select "outsider (non-CreatureLink)" if the creature only has one CreatureLink parent.
- Description: This is an optional field, which might contain pertinent information about a Creature's genetics. Mutations could be mentioned here, personality characteristics, or anything else that might help someone decide to adopt the Creature.
- Image: Please include a 120 x 150 .jpg image that is representative of the Creature.
- Zip File: Please include a .zip file with the Creature's file. You may also include the Creature's genome.
Should you ever have additional questions about CreatureLink, please contact a member of the moderation team or post in the Help forum.
Updated by Grendel_Man on 5/9/2015 - Changing things around to reflect the new management and some other things.
Glad you love it, Lily! At this point, the only Creatures that can be uploaded are ones who are the children of those downloaded from CreatureLink. So it would only be Malus and Wedelia's children who would be eligible to be uploaded. Rascii and I are keeping an eye on everything, and I know that there have been some requests already to make the uploaded Creatures a little less restricted. You're welcome to mix CreatureLink Creatures within your population: Just be aware that any offspring can't be uploaded. Hope this helps!
Ah! I just can't stop loving this! I hope to have some little babies to post and carry on the link!
If Malus and Wedelia happen to breed with my other Generation 1 Norns, are the offspring still eligible to be posted? Is it alright to mix them?