Installing Exodus on Windows XP Games Rascii | 8/17/2012|| |
A guide by Geek2Nurse on how to install Creatures Exodus on Windows XP.
1. Stick the Exodus CD in your drive. The Autorun doesn't seem to work on XP, so you have to run the setup manually. If it won't run, right-click on the program icon, select properties, and set it to Win 95 compatibility mode, then try it again.
1a. If I remember correctly, at this point I now had Creatures Exodus directories in both My Documents and Program Files.
2. Download the Offline Option fix from http://www.creaturesdockingstation.com/ and install it. NOTE: The downloadable version of Docking Station won't work with the Exodus version of C3, so save yourself some effort and don't try it.
3. Run both programs; Creatures and Docking Station, to complete the setup. After doing this, you'll have FOUR sets of directories; two in Program Files and two in My Documents, named Creatures and Creatures Exodus. (I'm pretty sure I remember them splitting into Creatures and Creatures Exodus in both places. If it was only one of them, it will just be slightly less for you to fix.)
4. I don't know if it really does anything for Exodus or not, but I went ahead and installed the Creatures 3 update at this point. (In retrospect, it might have made more sense to wait until after step 7. But at the time, I didn't know what the steps were!)
5. Now merge all the files into one directory structure. First, move everything from the Creatures Exodus directories into the corresponding directories under Creatures, then move the files from the Program Files directory into the appropriate folders in the My Documents directory.
6. Now it's time for RegEdt32. Go to your Start Menu and click on Run, then type in regedt32. Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the left pane, then click Edit in the menu bar and select Find.... Enter creatures in the search field, and start searching.
7. Every time you find a set of keys that contain directory paths, correct them to point to the directories where your files now reside. To do this, click on the key you want to modify in the right pane, then select Edit -> Modify and enter the correct path. When you finish one set of keys, hit F3 to find the next set. This is tedious, but you'll get through it. (Use your copy and paste skills to save time!)
8. Now install the Creatures Remastered Patch. I don't know what it does, but it seems to magically fix all sorts of stuff, so just save yourself some future pain and DO IT.
That's it! Go play with norns!
This article was originally written by Geek2Nurse in the Help forum.