creatures caves welcome, guest
downloads   gallery   dev   community   creatchi   forum   mycaves
bookmarks | search | post new topic
Survivor Forum
old
Improving Survivor? [Game 4]   
Malkin

Malkin
Australia  
Manager


 visit Malkin's website: Malkin's page at CWiki
  9/22/2012

This round of Survivor went really well - so what can we learn from it for next time? What did we like most out of the format of this round, so we can do it again? Do any of the rules need to be changed? How can we make it more fun?

My TCR Norns
 
sam999

sam999


 visit sam999's website: Speculative Evolution
  9/23/2012

Well, I was thinking that opening the rules for Survivor avatars might be a good idea.

Instead of having a small set, we'd let people choose/make their own as long as they had a clear creatures theme.

For example, if you wanted to use the picture of the shee that shows up on the C3 loading screen, you could. Or a screenshot of a creature from your game. Or a G.A.I.A.

Also, have challenges be suggested in the forums before they happen, so people can debate if they want a flood, the coconuts being rotten, or the Borland, after sleeping since before the birth of shee civilization in its lost city, waking and needing to be rammed with the C1 submarine to send it back to sleep before it drives everyone insane via its sheer alien-ness from albian norms.

 
Rascii
Caves Dweller

Rascii
United States  
Administrator


 visit Rascii's website: Creatures Caves
  9/23/2012

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "opening the rules for Survivor avatars". Actually, the first contest was for each contestant to create their own avatar which was Survivor-themed. There was no set of avatars to select from.

- Rascii
 
Jessica

Jessica
United States  

 visit Jessica's website: Discover Albia
  9/23/2012

Sam999: Did you perhaps mean the pictures used to represent the contestants on the island, as chosen in this topic? For example, I was a Harlequin Norn, and Layla was a Siamese Norn.

I actually really enjoyed this set of images. Perhaps the next round could include some new ones, particularly in place of the ones used for some of the contestants who made it into the late rounds.

I also like the idea of the challenges being discussed on the forum. It might also be a good idea to give contestants a list of the challenges at the start of Survivor. Dates could be left out so contestants would still have some surprise over which contest happened each week. This might help some people plan ahead if they know they'll be extra busy. To prevent too much preparation ahead of time, a very broad description could be given, instead of nailing down every detail.

One suggestion I have is to have a way for the contestants to get together and interact more. Most of us did this on our own, but it would have been nice to have set days for a picnic, barbeque, game, etc. Once every week or two probably would have worked. Interacting with the other contestants gave me a more varied storyline to work with. How else would I have been smacked over the head with a golf club?! Ha ha!


Discover Albia

 
sam999

sam999


 visit sam999's website: Speculative Evolution
  9/23/2012

That's what I meant Jessica.

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend adding the following images:

1. The shee picture seen on the C3 loading screen.
2. All the promotional pictures for breeds.
3. Gaius, from the promotional picture of him.
4. G.A.I.A. - I can just picture the journal entries.... "sits on beach. Retracts head. Extends head. Eats a rock. Hopes that I don't rust."

Also, the idea of having challenges which involve other contest members is great.

Another idea would be to have more of a backstory. Maybe the members are shipwrecked and have to build a raft to get home. They might be hunting for the lost plunder of the dreaded Captain Blaubart of the Gobbyraitpiraten. Seeking to be the first to catch a living Borland. You get the idea.

 
Malkin

Malkin
Australia  
Manager


 visit Malkin's website: Malkin's page at CWiki
  9/23/2012

sam999 wrote:

Also, have challenges be suggested in the forums before they happen, so people can debate if they want a flood, the coconuts being rotten, or the Borland, after sleeping since before the birth of shee civilization in its lost city, waking and needing to be rammed with the C1 submarine to send it back to sleep before it drives everyone insane via its sheer alien-ness from albian norms.



Maybe a secret suggestion box for contests (via PM to Rascii) would be a good idea? Personally, the idea about Borland seems like a good idea for an ongoing thread on the island, not just a contest. I preferred the more free-form contests to the more prescriptive, it was more fun to read how each Survivor reacted to them.

Another thought that has occured to me since the second week of Survivor is that the Survivor TV show isn't popular any more, so perhaps the format has been forgotten - where two contestants are removed by boat every week, rather than just vanishing off the island, as they did this round.

Another problem was that people kept on voting on the first day of the votes - Survivors would want to vote as soon as possible, but having too many votes early in the week I think proved discouraging to some Survivors. On the converse - having one vote per day, rather than one vote per week, seemed to add more excitement to previous Survivor games... as some voters would be swing voters... which runs directly counter to what I've just said about 'too many votes' being accrued too early in the week - but there you have it. Which model would be better?

The comments on the polls often spoiled the poll for me, as I held off voting until Thursday, to give each player as much chance as I could. No more spoiler comments, please!


My TCR Norns
 
sam999

sam999


 visit sam999's website: Speculative Evolution
  9/24/2012

O.K. my attempt to list the ideas had so far.

1. More Avatars

2. Non-Survivors in the forum or by PMing Rascii can come up with challenges.

3. Challenges which require the contestants to get together.

4. More of an overreaching plot, be it to find pirate treasure, build a raft to escape or avoid becoming Creature sacrifices to the mighty Borland by its ettin cultists.

5. Gve contestants a list of the challenges at the start of Survivor, dates not included.

8. Either a poll a day and/or no comments on polls.

And also a new idea I'm introducing, pictures of the island landscape. With google search, and any of the pictures on deviantart under the free-use for non-commercial-usage license we'd have plenty to choose from. Each challenge for example might have a picture showing a part of the island the contestants could be on at the time or something.

 
Malkin

Malkin
Australia  
Manager


 visit Malkin's website: Malkin's page at CWiki
  9/24/2012

I don't mind comments on polls, that's what the comment feature is there for, I just do mind spoilery comments on polls.... If I can tell that someone's going badly in the poll before I've even cast my vote, it could change the way I vote - which is more than just the usual guff about 'Vote off Karias!'.

My TCR Norns
 
Rascii
Caves Dweller

Rascii
United States  
Administrator


 visit Rascii's website: Creatures Caves
  12/6/2012

Sam999 wrote:
Well, I was thinking that opening the rules for Survivor avatars might be a good idea.

Instead of having a small set, we'd let people choose/make their own as long as they had a clear creatures theme.

Thank you for the feedback. I have implemented this in the Survivor: Arctic registration process.

Jessica wrote:
One suggestion I have is to have a way for the contestants to get together and interact more. Most of us did this on our own, but it would have been nice to have set days for a picnic, barbeque, game, etc. Once every week or two probably would have worked. Interacting with the other contestants gave me a more varied storyline to work with. How else would I have been smacked over the head with a golf club?! Ha ha!

I'm thinking about creating a special thread for discussion amongst contestants only. :)

sam999 wrote:
Another idea would be to have more of a backstory. Maybe the members are shipwrecked and have to build a raft to get home. They might be hunting for the lost plunder of the dreaded Captain Blaubart of the Gobbyraitpiraten. Seeking to be the first to catch a living Borland. You get the idea.

I like this idea. I'm not much of a story writer though. Anyone interested in writing the Survivor: Arctic backstory?

Malkin wrote:
Maybe a secret suggestion box for contests (via PM to Rascii) would be a good idea?

I think this is a great idea. Last game I mostly asked moderators and managers for input on contests, but this time I'll open it up to everyone. :)

Malkin wrote:
having one vote per day, rather than one vote per week, seemed to add more excitement to previous Survivor games...

I totally agree. Survivor: Arctic will definitely allow one vote per user per day, instead of one vote per user per week.


- Rascii
 
 
  replies cannot be added because this thread has been locked.


downloads
cobs
adoptions
creaturelink
metarooms
breeds
 
gallery
art
wallpaper
screenshots
graphics
promos
sprites
dev
hack shack
script reservations
dev resources
active projects
dev forum
 
community
links
advice
chat
polls
resources
creatchi
 
forum
bookmarks
general
news
help
development
strangeo
survivor
mycaves
log in
register
lost pw
1 online
DaedalusR
creatures caves is your #1 resource for the creatures artificial life game series: creatures, creatures 2, creatures 3, docking station, and the upcoming creatures family.

contact    help    privacy policy    terms & conditions    rules    donate    wiki